Karen Shaw Hair Extensions - Great Lengths Gold Salon, and a Great Lengths and Remi Cachet certified hair extension specialist
We make it as easy as possible to look after your hair extensions with our unique kind- to-scalp bonds and our range of aftercare products. To maintain your hair extensions and keep them in tip top condition, here are some basic maintenance steps to follow:
Remember to attend your free scheduled maintenance check for professional assessment and to ensure your contract remains valid with the salon.
Washing your hair
- Don’t shampoo your hair for at least 48 hours after your extensions have been applied, this allows the bonds to set.
- Always use Great Lengths aftercare products as these have been specifically designed to prolong the life and appearance of your hair extensions.
- Always follow the directions on the product bottle.
- Shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week.
- A great tip is to rinse your hair in Great Lengths diluted Anti Tap Water to restore your hair’s pH value.
Drying your hair
- Always dry your hair thoroughly, don’t leave it to dry naturally. Hair is at its most vulnerable when wet, so start drying at the bond and work downwards, on a low heat.
- Do not towel dry your hair with a scrubbing motion. Instead, use a blotting motion and wrap your hair in a towel to remove excess moisture.
- Always blow dry your hair on a low temperature.
- Great Lengths flat headed, soft bristle brushes are the most suitable for brushing your hair.
- Whilst holding the bonds, gently brush your hair in small sections, being careful to brush any tangles out from the bottom first.
- Do not comb between the scalp and the bond. On a regular basis, separate the bonds with your fingers to prevent matting.
Styling and finishing
- Styling products should only be applied to the lengths and ends of your hair and not the bond itself.
- The Great Lengths round brush can be used for blow drying.
- Straighteners, tongs and heated rollers can be used, however they must be kept away from the bonds.
- We recommend you tie your hair in a loose pony tail to prevent tangling while sleeping.
Exercise and your lifestyle
Hair extensions suit most lifestyles, however, please be mindful of the following activities, which may affect the lifespan of your bonds, or in fact, cause them to breakdown:
- Regular swimming, particularly in sea water and chlorinated water.
- Regular sauna or steam room use.
- Excessive aerobic activity.
After these activities use diluted Great Lengths Anti Tap Water solution to restore your hair and scalp to its natural pH balance.